Want your players to become star passers? Well, the game “Star Passing” can make them into one. This game/drill allows your players to work on passing and receiving and it gives the players a lot of touches throughout the game.
Divide the players into small groups of 5 or 6. Have each group spread out in a circle (or star) with 1 basketball.
- Determine a pattern for the ball to work its way around the circle
- A suggested pattern is “passing two to the right” (see Diagram below)
- Each player should receive and make a pass before the pattern repeats
||Passing, Receiving, Coordination, Speed
|KEY TEACHING POINTS
- Coach passers to step into the pass and follow-through with their hands
- Ensure catchers are providing a target for the pass
- Teach players to communicate, calling the names of the player they are passing to
- Encourage players to speed up their passes to challenge themselves
- Spread out so passes are further away
- Have players practice each type of pass
- Slowly introduce more balls into the drill, further challenging concentration
- Reverse the pattern, flipping the direction of the passing pattern
- Introduce 5 defenders to act as guided defenders attempting to disrupt passes